Pencil Artist Linda Huber

Basic Drawing Supplies for lessons

Drawing Supplies | Students work | Students Feedback | Paid Students Section | Back to Drawing Lessons |

These supplies are not only what I recommend for you to use they are what I have been using for many years. The Bristol board is good to work on, you can blend with ease, build up layers, erase and the paper will hold up. As you will see I don't use all the pencils in the box! H, B and 4b graphite pencils, and 2b or the darker 4b refills for your Mechanical pencil. The price of all excluding the electric eraser is around $15. Supplies marked with a * are needed for the drawing lessons! If you can not find the paper recommended another "smooth" brand might do fine as long as it is a heavy paper.

  1. *One 11 x 14 inch pad of Strathmore 300 or 400 smooth Bristol Board (20 sheets):
    Make sure the paper is not warped.
  2. *Graphite Pencils H, B, 4b :
  3. *Mechanical Pencil (0.5mm) any brand will do:
  4. *Pkg of 2b Refills (0.5 mm) for the mechanical: Refills/
  5. 0.5 mm refills (I order my darker refills here):
    The Blick website doesn't carry the 4B leads
  6. *2 Kneaded Erasers:
    You can dab at areas to lighten, erase large areas and grid lines with this eraser.
    Sanford Design eraser is the brand I use, I'm sure it is the same as the Prismacolor eraser.
  7. Expensive board:
    In-expensive board:
    the clips on some boards can indent the paper!.
  8. *Plain tissue for blending (no powder or lotion)
  9. *Large and small tortillons (stumps):
  10. *Large Ruler (at lease 15 inches) for drawing grids.
  11. Krylon Workable Fixative:
    This is used after you have finished the drawing. A few light layers will protect the drawing from smudges and also cut the graphite shine a little bit.
  12. Electric Eraser (Optional):
    I use a kneaded eraser for all areas of the drawing. This electric eraser can be very useful for very tiny highlights and tiny details, it is not used for erasing large areas or grid lines.
  13. * You will need either a scanner or a camera that will give me great progress images of your drawings. The images will need to be straight, clear, and look like what is seen on paper (tonal values). It can be a little light or dark (as long as you let me know which one it is). In order for me to see how you're doing I need to see the drawings how they really look. I do offer to my students info on photographing drawings and scanning them too.
  14. Gray Scale and Value Finder:
    This card will show you all the gray scales between Black and white. Also you can scan (or photograph) the card with your progress drawings and then I can compare the card to your tones!I do offer a free print out of one to my students. :)

If you do not want to order online you can find most all of the above list at a local art supply store!

This page and all of this site was hand-coded (literally in Notepad) by Linda Huber